Tapatio and Ministry

Thursday, June 05, 2008

One of the things about youth ministry that I love is the link between fun and spirituality. I believe that fun for a junior high student is a gateway to connecting with a church and with God. Last night we played a favorite game of mine called Eat That Food. Last night I watched an 8th grade guy eat two snowballs and three zingers in three bites total! I also watched another 8th grade guy drink a 5 oz. bottle of Tapatio hot sauce in 4 drinks! As disgusting as this sounds, and yes, it was disgusting, the students had a great time.

I think that sometimes in ministry we get so focused on getting students information about the Bible that we forget that the time we spend with students and providing a fun atmosphere for them to get to know us and each other is more beneficial than just lecturing them about the Bible. Whenever we see Jesus ministering to others, He is spending time with them and enjoying time with them. Now would Jesus be running a game that makes students drink Tapatio and eat snowballs, I don't know, but I think He would defiantly be making sure people were enjoying community, learning and growing together.

0 comments: