Books I Read On My Retreat

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cut by Patrica McCormick

So recently I've been turned onto reading teen fiction. I've also learned that it's best for me to walk into a book store to pick what teen fiction book I want to read because that way I see what is being offered to students (rather than just buying it off of Amazon). Anyways, when I went into Barnes and Noble on Saturday, I was shocked by what saw. Close to 80% of the selection was either about issues such as cutting, drugs, addiction or witchcraft and the occult. It shocked me a little.

So, this is one of the books I read on my retreat.Cut is about a girl who is a cutter in a treatment facility. What is great about this book is that it talks about the process that she went through while she was there, the unfortunate thing is that it never really got down to the reason she cuts.

It does talk about the guilt and the hurt that goes on in families and is a good read to remind those of us in youth ministry why we do what we do.


Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

So when I bought this book, for whatever reason I didn't notice that is old, very old, 1971 old, which is especially old since I was looking to hear about current culture. Anyways, the book is supposedly a true account about an anonymous girl's decent into drugs. It's a diary account which is awkward to read. I enjoyed the first person account of the story and it would be beneficial to read as youth workers or parents that aren't aware of what goes on in the drug culture.



They Like Jesus But Not The Church by Dan Kimball

This is a book that I've been trying to finish reading for about a month now. I finally was able to finish it and am stoked about it. For anyone who doesn't know Dan Kimball is one of the pastors at Vintage Faith Church in Santa Cruz, CA. Dan is one of the pioneers of the missional church movement and has great insight in emerging generations.

The idea of the book is that in our culture, "the church" has a bad name. Non-Christians, want to know about Jesus and are interested in having conversations about Jesus, but they want nothing to do with the church.

One of the biggest realizations for me is the idea that before we can even start to talk to emerging generations about Jesus and salvation, we have to get past the bad reputation we have as Christians and The Church. This book is at the top of my list of books that are shaping the way I do ministry and interact with people as a Christian, it's a must read.





0 comments: